The Saugeen Shores Winterhawks line up ready for their opening game of the season against the Ripley Wolves October 6. Hub photo

The Ripley Wolves scored six unanswered goals to spoil the Saugeen Shores Winterhawks Outlaw Brew home opener.

Ripley erased a two-goal deficit and pulled away to a commanding 7-3 win at The Plex on Saturday night.

The night opened as the team introduced Trevor Smith as the 2nd captain in the team’s history.

The good vibes were short-lived, as Ripley opened the scoring just over a minute into the game, with Tyson Soers putting a loose puck past Winterhawks netminder Jeff Flagler.

The Winterhawks would get it back on the powerplay later in the period, when newcomer Mike Rocca found Connor Patton in front and he made no mistake, beating Ripley goalie Ryan MacDonald.

The home side would jump ahead later in the period when Rocca and Patton once again hooked up, this time with Rocca stealing the puck in the Ripley zone and finding Patton streaking to the net.

The Winterhawks went up 3-1 at 17:32 just as a penalty kill was ending, Andy Mitchell retrieved the puck in the Ripley zone and put it to the front of the net, where Jay Thomson put the puck past MacDonald.

The good vibes disappeared quickly in the 2nd period as the Winterhawks found themselves in penalty trouble.

A too many men penalty, followed by a charging call on Josh Deyell put the Winterhawks down two men.

While they killed off the 5-on-3, thanks in large part to a magnificent glove save by Flagler, Garret Satosek would score late in the powerplay to put Ripley within one.

Garrett Meurs would tie the game for Ripley at 10:31 when he broke in to the Winterhawks zone and dangled around a Flagler poke check to make it a 3-3 game.

The Wolves would score again in the dying seconds of the 2nd, Dylan Sayle deflected a puck past Flagler with six seconds left to give Ripley a 4-3 lead.

The Wolves would add three more in the 3rd period as the Winterhawks could not get any offence going, making it a 7-3 final for Ripley.

The Winterhawks will be back in action on Friday October 12th, when they travel to Shallow Lake to face the Crushers at 8:30pm.

with files from

Puck Drop

Claire McCormack of Outlaw Brew Co. dropped the ceremonial puck for Wolves Captain Paul Stewart and Winterhawks Captain Trevor Smith. Hub photo

Trevor Smith

Saugeen Shores Winterhawks new captain, Trevor Smith, in action October 6. Smith is only the second captain in the team’s history. Hub photo

Patton Goal

Connor Patton and Mike Rocca celebrate after Patton scored his second of the evening, Rocca assisting in both goals. Hub photo

Thomson goal

Jay Thomson celebrates his goal with his Winterhawks teammates. Hub photo


The Winterhawks put pressure on the Wolves net. Hub photo

Mike Rocca

Saugeen Shores Winterhawks Mike Rocca looks for a chance to pass the puck. Hub photo

Blake Underwood

Wolves player Tyler Soehner tries to take the puck from Winterhawks Blake Underwood as he sprints down the ice. Hub photo

Curtis Johnstone

Curtis Johnstone gets ready to take a shot on the Wolves net. Hub photo

Jeff Flagler

Winterhawks goalie Jeff Flagler gets ready to defend Saugeen Shores net from Ripley's Brent Walton. Hub photo

Josh Deyell

Josh Deyell looks to sprint around the Ripley defence. Hub photo

Andy Mitchell

Saugeen Shores Winterhawks Andy Mitchell take the puck and sprints towards the Ripley Wolves net. Hub photo

Matt Shields

Matt Shields looks for a way through the Ripley defence. Hub photo