NEWS

events mini banner

middle-header-news2

SMHF

Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation Past Chair Jonna Ebel (second from left) accepted a cheque for $38,0000 from the 31st annual Rotary Huron Shore Run. Presenting the cheque were, from left, RHSR Treasurer and Port Elgin Rotary member Kevin Carter, Port Elgin Rotary President Steve Dennison, Rotary Huron Shore Run Co-Chairs June and John Van Bastelaar and Southampton Rotary's Neil Reid.

Hub Staff

The Saugeen Memorial Hospital Foundation (SMHF), the Rotary clubs of Southampton and Port Elgin and the Saugeen Track and Field Club each received their annual contribution from the Rotary Huron Shore Run (RHSR) August 13 at a media event at the Queen's Bar & Grill in Port Elgin.

Proceeds from this year's fundraiser, now entering in its 32nd year, totalled $53,600 with SMHF receiving 70 percent and the remaining 30 percent being distributed evenly between the two Rotary clubs and the track club.

RHSR Co-Chair John Van Bastelaar said simply that the June 1 event was a fun run. "We just had a great time this year and raising money for the Foundation and for the other three clubs, it's just such a wonderful endeavour," he said, adding that a large part of what makes it so much fun is the volunteers.

"It's enjoyed by a lot of people," said Van Bastelaar. "We had 70 or 80 volunteers who did a wonderful job and it reflects in everything we do."

Jonna Ebel, Past Chair of SMHF and Volunteer Coordinator for Gran Fond Lake Huron, said that the annual RHSR contribution goes a long way toward providing new supplies for the hospital. "The province doesn't provide equipment for the hospital and as a result of that every time we need something renewed we rely on community support," said Ebel, calling the Rotary Huron Shore Run was "one of those big ones."

"We really rely upon it and really count on it every year," she said.

Track Field

Rick Carr (centre) of the Saugeen Track and Field Club accepted a cheque for $5,200 from, from left, RHSR Treasurer and Port Elgin Rotary member Kevin Carter, Rotary Huron Shore Run Co-Chairs June and John Van Bastelaar and Southampton Rotary's Neil Reid.

Southampton Rotary

A cheque was presented to Southampton Rotary Club for $5,200. From left, Rotary Huron Shore Run Co-Chairs and Southampton Rotary members June and John Van Bastelaar, and Neil Reid of the Southampton Rotary Club.

Port Rotary

The Rotary Club of Port Elgin received a $5,200 cheque from the Rotary Huron Shore Run. From left, Rotary Huron Shore Run Co-Chair John Van Bastelaar, Port Elgin Rotary PresidentSteve Dennison, Rotary Huron Shore Run Co-Chair, June Van Bastelaar and RHSR Treasurer Kevin Carter.