A & E



winterama fullHub Staff

A great opportunity for children to enjoy and experience a variety of winter sports, fun and activities, including skating, curling, x-country skiing, snowshoeing and even swimming at the 14th Annual Rotary Winterama, which takes place on Saturday, February 20.

The Rotary Clubs of Port Elgin, Southampton, Tara and Hepworth-Shallow Lake partner together with a host of events happening in Port Elgin (The Plex, Curling Club and Centennial Pool), Shallow Lake (Community Centre), and Hepworth (Sawmill Trails).

Winterama is aimed at getting kids in the community active while raising funds for schools and youth programs such as children's breakfast clubs.

“It's a win for everybody,” said Rotarian Doug Fryday at a presentation January 26. The children raise pledges, 70 percent of which goes to breakfast clubs and other youth oriented programs at the children's school and the remaining 30 percent Rotary puts back into youth programs in the community.

“Over $2 million has been raised in the last 14 years for the kids,” said Fryday. “That's a great thing.”

Last year's event saw 85 children at The Plex and they are hoping to see more this year. “We need to get our youth outdoors and active,” said Fryday.

Most of the skating happens at The Plex where members of the Saugeen Shores Winterhawks take an active role with the children. “They play games with the kids, the Winterhawks are great,” said Fryday. “They also do a 'pass the bucket' for us and last year I think we brought in over $600.”

Lionel, the Boston Pizza mascot is also scheduled to make an appearance this year.

A pizza lunch and prize ceremonies will take place at noon at three locations, The Plex and Curling Club in Port Elgin and the Community Centre in Shallow Lake.

New to the event this year is a Fun Swim at Centennial Pool in Port Elgin from 1 to 2 p.m. “We think that if it's cold then it will be nice for these kids to get in the warm water,” said Fryday.

For a list of events, updates and pledge forms visit facebook.com/rotarywinterama.

Pledge forms are also available at Thorncrest Outfitters in Southampton, Suntrail Outfitters in Hepworth and at local schools.